Thursday, December 13, 2007

Criticism!!

I take care of group who joined the process 3 months back! Prior to me taking charge, the guy who was handling them.... was not giving them enough feedbacks, which showed in their performance!! Their documentation was not upto the mark, technically they aren't sound yet, and most importantly, a couple of guys are making no effort to improve in the areas they lack!
When i took over, i started pointing out their mistakes (privately), hoping they would learn and would not repeat the mistake again!
But it turns out, a couple of them are not happy with the way i work! They do not like me pointing out their mistakes....
I saw of one of the guys passing a comment on me over the messenger.
This was the first time in my life that i had seen a "live" criticism of mine, so did not know how to react!
I took that guy to the smoking zone, asked him if he had a suggestion on how to point to mistakes, in a better way, that does not offend them. He had none to offer apart from saying that i should do it in a better way...
So, i guess, i am doing a good job 'cos he did not offer me a way. And i know, change is always painful BUT it is always for good!
Do you have any suggestions on i could have handled the situation better?
Leave me your comment pls!
Good nite!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

criticism shouldn't affect you or the way you work. Would you rather be a guy who does things rather than save ur actions in fear of someone making you feel bad about what you did.I don't think that guy had the balls to say it to ur face. Well in a way thats not criticism thats backbiting.some immature school girls complaining there is no air-conditioning in the bathroom. I don't think they were criticising you they were doing something else...

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with the gentleman. I have been in those shoes for more than an year and I know how hard it can be. If you want to make changes you are labled Imposing. If you are lenient then you are not doing your job sincerely. You have your team on one side and your manager on the other. I appreciate the approach you took. To be honest I could not do what you did. I tried but the execution wasn't as good. As a result I was left frustrated. Its good that you confronted criticism (if we can call it that). In fact it is "Resistance to Change". Thats it. so keep up the good work. Facing resistance to change is one of the core funtions of management and you are doing it pretty well.